Mini Thoughts

I have been so inspired by all the bloggers at Clear River, I decided to give it a try.

Sunday, July 31, 2005

"They said you was high class...."

This week was so busy (i.e. I got lazy) I didn't crack a school book or watch one of my many "riveting" lectures. I have one test to take in one class, and then I'm done. I am 3/4 of the way through another class, and haven't even started my third class, and I have 6 weeks to finish them. But I'm not really worried, because the class I haven't started yet is New Testament Survey, and that should be an interesting one. I should zip through that in no time.....as long as I keep the lazies at bay.

The class I'm concentrating on now is humanities. I am SO enjoying this class. Learning about ancient cultures, right up through the 20th century. Learning to "read" paintings, the meanings behind sculptures, and what's most interesting is the Christian aspects hidden in some paintings. It's given me a different perspective on history, a better understanding of cultures starting with the ancient Mesopotamians, through the Egyptians, Greeks, Romans, the Renaissance. And adding in the Christian point of view......whether it's a pagan symbol that's been turned into a Christian one, or hidden messages in paintings during the "dark ages" when Christianity was "illegal."

The professor, Dr. Michael Babcock, is known as a leading authority on Attila the Hun, of all people. He got interested in Attila when he was in school getting his degree in philology. He has just released a book about the night Attila died. Dr. Babcock has given us an extra credit assignment (worth up to one whole letter grade on our final grade!) on his book. It reads like a murder mystery, kind of like a true crime story except set in the 450s. I've taken him up on his offer - I can use all the help I can get - and his book is actually very interesting so far, if you're into that kind of thing.......which I am, which is probably why I find it interesting. It's also cool to be reading a book by someone who's teaching you. His picture is in it and everything!! ::insert dumb blonde look here:: I think I'll send my copy down to Liberty and see if he will autograph it for me. Who knows, could become a best seller!! I did buy the last copy Barnes and Noble had, after all.

1 Comments:

  • At 6:50 PM, Blogger David said…

    So, NT Survey, huh? At Regent we had to pass an exam on that and the OT or take the survey classes. I looked at the sample test and went "FFFFFFFFFFFT! Sign me up." But it was great. The inter-testamental period really shows the hand of God in history. Enjoy, and let me know if you wanna look at my notes.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home